Monday 20 June 2011

Quote for the Week: Forgiveness

FORGIVENESS

"You will know that forgiveness has begun when you recall those who hurt you and feel the power to wish them well" - Lewis B. Smedes

Forgiving someone isn't the easiest thing in the world to do. Personally there are people in my life who I will never forgive. And not because I can't forgive them but because I simply don't want to forgive them. It would be so easy for me to accept their apology and 'move on' but if I did that I would never wish them well, I would end up smiling when things went badly for them and never really being happy for them. It's so easy for people to tell you to forgive don't you think? But sometimes the hurt caused by someone else has gone too deep to be erased, and every time you think of the person you feel a bitterness inside of you.

This week I'm going to set myself the task of forgiving those who I love, for the silly things that they may have thought was a joke but I didn't find funny. I think it's easier to forgive someone you love because your love for them overpowers your bitterness a thousand times. If someday you'd like to forgive someone who did something horrible to you then remember not to rush, and don't do it because someone told you to forgive them, otherwise you won't have forgiven them for the right reasons. Take it one step at a time and confront your feelings, only then will you know if you've got the power to forgive them.

I wish you all a good week, full of make-ups between friends and family!
-EG

No comments:

Post a Comment